BOTOX and Dysport are brand names for botulinum toxin, a neuromodulator. These are prescription medications injected in small amounts to smooth wrinkles and lines. Both BOTOX and Dysport create a smoothing effect by decreasing the activity of targeted muscle strands, so the overlying skin becomes smoother, looking refreshed and youthful.
What issues can be treated with BOTOX or Dysport injections?
BOTOX and Dysport can be injected to resolve a range of facial issues. These products smooth away wrinkles and lines, including:
- Frown lines between the eyes
- Forehead creases
- Crow's feet
- lip lines
- Chin dimples (peau d’orange)
- Smoothing an aging neck: These injections can reduce the visible neck bands that can appear with age.
- Facial contouring: The injections can reduce the look of overdeveloped masseter muscles that can contribute to a bottom-heavy or boxy facial appearance.
- Neferiti lift: Careful injections to the muscles that depress the jawline and mouth can result in a smoother, younger jawline.
BOTOX, Dysport, Xeomin -- Are they different?
There are several different botulinum toxins available in the USA. Their mechanism of action and results (when used correctly) are comparable. They differ in their molecular makeup, potency, and effective dose needed to treat any given area. Some patients report better responses to different products. The most important factor is that your physician is comfortable with the injected product and achieves the look you want – never an unnatural, frozen look.
What is the cost per unit for BOTOX and Dysport?
- Botox $12
- Dysport $4